Friday, July 20, 2018
Worldwide Leader in Sports News
for the Deaf Community


England Deaf Rugby takes 2-0 lead over New Zealand Deaf Rugby

England Deaf Rugby UnionThe tour now builds for the 3rd and final Test at Barking Rugby Club, Kick Off 3pm on Sunday 12th November.

The 2nd Test was another quality game, with a capacity crowd at the brand new Harlow Rugby Club.

From the start New Zealand dominated, racking up three tries, together with kicking a conversion and penalty, to no response from England, who had less domination in the Scrum, whilst the Kiwis this time competed well in the Lineouts.
The Deaf Blacks left the field at half time with 20 points to nil, which included the early loss to injury of the England Scrum Half and Vice Captain, Danny Rowland, and it looked an impossible task for England to turn the game around after such a poor performance.

However, whether it was words in the dressing room or just personal pride that fired up the team, suddenly England came out onto the field after less than 3 minutes break, they looked to be gagging at the bit for the restart, perhaps to the surprise of the Kiwis, England meant business.

In a spirited and thrilling second half performance, England really did take the game in both hands and started piling on the points, with the New Zealanders unable to respond with a score, England pulled back the game to trail 20-15 with two tries, a conversion, and a penalty, when suddenly the game seemed to go sideways for England, the Assistant Referee spotted foul play, and England Captain Luke Cheyne left the field for ten minutes in the sin bin, and England was reduced to 14 men for most of the last 15 minutes.

Southern Hemisphere hopes of a 2nd Test Win were raised, but despite the Leadership being absent from the field, the England players responded, the backs seemed to play with more fluidity, and with just minutes to go, England went over for a third try to equal the score, and the final conversion was kicked, and within the dying seconds of the game, managing to gain possession and hold on to secure the win.

The seemingly impossible task was completed, and England took the final whistle leading 22-20, a magnificent come back against all odds.

England are now Series Winners, leading 2-0, but the Deaf Blacks still plan to spoil the party and take the 3rd Test.

If the first two Tests are any indication, there's still a lot of good rugby to be played next Sunday afternoon.

Reprinted from England Rugby Deaf Facebook Page -

Turkish Deaf Sport

Gear Zone's Sale is Now On!